Vegan French Toast
This vegan french toast will delight you and your friends. You can serve it topped with savory mushrooms and spinach or maple syrup or even peanut butter! Whatever makes your heart sing!
- 1 loaf bread, sliced
- 2 1/2 c non-dairy milk (Hemp or Almond is great!)
- 3 T flaxseed meal
- 1 T all purpose flour (or substitute almond flour)
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t coriander
- pinch cardamon
- coconut oil
- In medium bowl, mix non-dairy milk, flaxseed meal, all-purpose flour, nutritional yeast, salt, and spices. Optionally let mixture sit for 5 min to 1 hr so the flaxseed meal can thicken.
- Heat pan on medium. Once hot, add coconut oil. The coconut oil helps provide a lovely texture to the toast which other oils do not.
- Soak slices of bread and add them to the heated pan. CAREFUL: the oil can splash up because of the liquid. I use a splash guard but it can still be tricky.
- Cook french toast, turning half way through until both sides are browned.
- Serve up the french toast with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- (bonus) If your mixture gets low you can add more non-dairy milk and other ingredients to extend it for the remainder of your bread. It’s a flexible recipe.
Spinach & Mushrooms
These optional toppings goes excellently on vegan french toast to create a savory delight!
- 3 large portobello (or other delicious fungi!)
- 12 to 16 oz spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t soy sauce
- 1 avocado
- olive oil
- Heat pan to medium. Add olive oil to the pan.
- Add mushrooms roughly 1 cup at a time so there’s not so much moisture at once. Finish off with soy sauce for extra umami!
- In the same pan or separate pan with oil, add garlic. Add the spinach 1 cup at a time as it cooks down. It’ll look like a lot of spinach but just keep going, it cooks down a lot! Add the salt at the end and mix.
- Serve mushrooms and spinach on top of the french toast along with some tasty avocado. Yum!