Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 14 oz shaped pasta
- 9 oz broccoli florets
- 9 oz petite peas
- 1 ½ c raw cashews, soaked, 1h in hot water or microwaved 2 to 3 minutes
- 1 ½ c hot water
- ½ T better than bouillon
- 1 T lemon juice
- ⅓ c nutritional yeast
- 2 T ground flax seed
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 t chipotle, or 1 T for very spicy
- ½ t salt
- ½ t turmeric
- a pinch of mustard seed
- Soak cashews.
- Cook pasta according to instructions.
- Add frozen veggies until heated through then strain.
- Combine all sauce ingredients and blend until smooth & creamy.
- Pour sauce over pasta and veggies and mix well.
Broccoli is delicious and nutritious! Try experimenting with the veggie to pasta ratio. 🥦 Flowers optional. The edible flowers are from the Wheeler Farm Farmers Market, and I love them so much! 💚🌺
A pinch of mustard seed added to the cooked broccoli in this vegan mac & cheese recipe activates the enzyme myrosinase which makes sulforaphane which is ridiculously good for you, anti-inflammatory, fights cancer, and can cross the blood-brain barrier. The same strategy applies to adding the raw form of cruciferous vegetables (i.e. cabbage, kale, collards or Brussels sprouts) back to any that have been cooked.